Only a month after moving into my new apartment, I decided to finally start using my awesome new kitchen for what it's meant for... cooking (as opposed to using it as my diet soda storage/chilling room).
I decided to start by baking some grab and go breakfast foods! These apple cinnamon muffins can be found in the Everything College Cookbook. They're pretty delicious, if I do say so myself.
|Yes, I use my heart plates for pretty much everything.|
Apple Cinnamon Muffins
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil (I used canola oil)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups diced apple (I forgot to measure and just used one gala apple)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees, Fahrenheit. Grease a muffin pan (or use muffin cups).
- In a small bowl, add the egg and vanilla extract to the buttermilk and beat lightly. Add the oil and mix to combine.
- In a large bowl, stir the baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar into the flour and blend well. Stir in the cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir to form a batter. Be careful not to overmix the batter; don't worry if there are still lumps. Stir in the diced apples.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tins so that they are between 1/2 to 2/3 full. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean. Let cool for 5 minutes.
Makes 12 servings
Nutritional Information (per serving):
- Calories - 162
- Total fat - 5.36g
- Unsaturated fat - 4.43g
- Carbohydrates - 25.46g
- Sugars - 10.75g
- Protein - 3.1g
Note: nutritional information may not be entirely accurate, as the values were found through some light Googling.
Having these muffins around for breakfast will be perfect! Not only will it mean that I stop going by McDonalds for their Sausage McMuffin with Egg each morning on the way to work (which would be a guilty pleasure of mine if not for the fact that I have zero remorse about liking them so much), but it also means that I'll have an excuse to use my new individual muffin/cupcake carriers!
|How perfect are these?|
Next up: Pesto Chicken Pasta from the Everything Healthy Cooking for Parties Book.
What's your favorite grab-and-go breakfast? Do you like that many McDonald's locations are now starting to serve a limited breakfast menu at midnight?Are you jealous that my new kitchen has an island and lazy susan cabinets?