Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Success!

As you may recall, last Wednesday I had a horrible day of rock climbing. I left the gym that evening feeling so disappointed in myself. While many of the routes I tried that evening were difficult, the one that really got to me was this green route that has plagued me ever since I first attempted it. I even tried going back on Sunday to redeem myself, but I fell even sooner than usual. To be fair, before attempting it I had already tired myself out on bouldering (I reached the top of three courses!) so it was okay. By this point, however, this route had been so horrible to me that it had a hold over me. To top it off, I was informed that the routes of that wall would all be taken down and reworked this coming weekend, leaving me with only three days to beat the route before I left town.

We all went back to the gym yesterday evening. I warmed up with an easier route that I've done innumerable times before; then, before I could give my arms the chance to tire out, I climbed up those rocks marked in green.  I was nervous and excited (because frankly, I put way too much pressure on menial things). It was, as usual, difficult and nerve-racking, but I won out. I climbed the route and reached the top, clean. And with that, I got back my confidence, and had a fantastic time.

I realize that getting to the top of one route isn't really that big a deal... but I just thought I would share this with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment