Friday, July 1, 2011

Strawberry-Orange Muffins

I think we can all agree that breakfast is the greatest meal, bar none! I mean, it is the most important meal of the day. Making breakfast is actually one of my favorite parts of the weekend (this extra-long weekend, I plan on making these crazy egg cup things I saw in Shape Magazine). Unfortunately, I can never make breakfast during the work week, because I do not have any motivation to get up any earlier than absolutely necessary (which probably has nothing to do with the fact that I regularly stay up past 2am).

Up until a few days ago (when I realized how awful it would be if I lost my fitness competition - I mean really, who writes a seven-book autobiography in stream-of-consciousness?) I had been resorting to McDonald's Sausage McMuffin with Egg for my morning sustenance. Occasionally, if I were feeling particularly healthy (or running particularly late), I would just grab a yogurt cup and eat it at my desk. Neither of these options have been entirely satisfying.

In an attempt to arm myself with some grab-and-go breakfast options that are delicious, nutritious, and convenient, I decided to make some muffins last night (starting at 11pm, thus ensuring another late night) from a recipe I found on EatingWell.com.

Strawberry-Orange Muffins

Ingredients:
  • 3 tablespoons - almonds (I actually used chopped pecans)
  • 2 tablespoons & 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, divided
  • 2 tablespoons & 1/2 cup brown sugar, divided (I used a splenda blend)
  • 3 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided equally
  • 2 tablespoons & 1/4 cup canola oil, divided
  • 1 cup white whole-wheat flour, or whole-wheat pastry flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 cup nonfat or low-fat buttermilk
  • 1/4 cup orange juice
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh or frozen (not thawed) strawberries
Preparation:
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees, Fahrenheit. Coat a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
  2. Process almonds, 2 tablespoons all purpose flour, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, 1 teaspoon orange zest, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a food processor until finely ground (I actually just stirred them, because I don't have a food processor). Transfer to a small bowl, drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil and stir to combine.
  3. Whisk the remaining 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl.
  4. Whisk the remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar, 2 teaspoons orange zest, and 1/4 cup oil in a medium bowl with buttermilk, orange juice, egg, and vanilla extract until well combined.
  5. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients; stir until just combined. Add strawberries; stir just to combine.
  6. Divide batter among prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle with the almond (or pecan) topping, gently pressing into the batter.
  7. Bake the muffins until golden brown and a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 18-20 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool for at least 5 minutes more before serving.


I realize that my track-record with baking does not look so great, but you can see for yourself how delicious these muffins look!



But what is better than muffins? MUFFIN TOPS! Seinfeld's Elaine was right when she opened up "Just Tops," everyone loves muffin tops! Unfortunately, she didn't have a muffin top pan, designed specifically to make the perfect muffin tops. I, on the other hand, do (thanks Grandma!), and tend to use it whenever possible (so, three times over the past year).


Yes, this is the same serving dish...

What is your favorite breakfast of choice? Do you like muffin tops, or the entire muffin? Does anyone else plan on spending the entire 4th of July weekend making various breakfast dishes?

2 comments:

  1. Ooohh, I love muffin tops and yours look especially scrumptious with all that streusel on top. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd love it if you'd come by and link up your muffins. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/07/sweets-for-saturday-23.html

    ReplyDelete