Monday, March 28, 2011

3 Exercises to Slim Down Your Inner Thighs

I was reading one of my fitness magazines recently (I can't recall which one, as I am addicted to them and have subscriptions to three) and I saw an advertisement that I found extremely interesting. It was for running skorts. RUNNING SKORTS!

In high school, I was lauded for my extremely fashionable choice to wear a skort as a part of my everyday ensemble. That is, of course, when I wasn't in my school uniform consisting of a plaid skirt and undershorts that were, to my utter dismay, not connected. Although, to remember it correctly, I might have been mocked rather than lauded, but that is neither here nor there.

Regardless, I loved my skorts. They weren't the mullet-esque type that were skirts in front and shorts in back, but rather just skirts with built in undershorts. They were comfortable and cute, and I wore them all the time. I only stopped wearing them shortly after starting college because they were kind of short and I had become self conscious of my thighs. In fact, I stopped wearing shorts all-together, with the exception of those that go all the way down to my knees.

Then enters advertisements for running skorts.



I think these are so cute, and would be perfect for running in the summer! There is one problem though: I am still self conscious of my legs. Nothing seems more unpleasant than running outside in the heat while your thighs, which seem to be twice the size of your entire body (which doesn't even come close to making sense!), insist on rubbing each other and smacking together the whole way.

So, I am left with two choices: get over my self-conscious issues or forego wearing these adorable skorts and stick with my pants which will likely produce a furnace effect in the summer. As a skirt/skort enthusiast, I will choose the former, and go about this task by regularly doing this fantastic inner thigh workout I found in this month's issue of Shape Magazine.

3 Exercises to Slim Down Your Inner Thigh
We're going to let you in on a secret: The inner thighs are a minor muscle group—compared to your quads, hamstrings, and glutes. But, oddly this tiny area has an enormous psychic-grip on so many women. If your thighs rub together, you know exactly what we're talking about, and if they don't, you probably work hard to keep them that way. We're going to help you conquer this common trouble spot so you can expend that mental energy on more important things—like which heels make your legs look sexier.
Inner Thigh Workout Details
You’ll need: Two balance discs, a 5- to10-pound dumbbell, a cable machine (or use a resistance tube), and a 5- to 8-pound medicine ball. Find gear at spri.com.
How it works: Incorporate these moves into your normal strength routine 2 or 3 times a week. Do 2 or 3 sets of 12 to 15 reps of each exercise. Aim to squeeze in 4 to 6 cardio workouts a week to help trim fat all over.

Plie Wobble Squat
Reps: 12-15
Body Parts: Butt, Hamstrings, Legs
Equipment: Free weights, Balance Discs
A: Stand with feet wide and toes turned out, each foot on a balance disc, and hold a dumbbell vertically with both hands in front of you at shoulder height.

B: Lower into a squat, keeping your knees aligned with your toes. Rise up and repeat.

Cable Cross
Reps: 12-15
Body Parts: Hamstrings, Legs
Equipment: Cable Machine (or Resistance Band), Balance Disc
 
A: Adjust the pulley on a cable machine to the lowest setting, attach the ankle cuff to your right foot, and load 20-30 pounds on the weight stack. Stand about a foot or two away from the machine with your right side closest to it and your left foot on a balance disc. Extend right leg out to the side, toes angled in. (When Hannah and I did this, we looped one end of a resistance band under a table leg, and the other end around our ankle)

B: Cross right leg in front of left. Hold for 1 count, then return to the starting position and repeat. Switch sides to complete set.

Side Weight Lift
Reps: 12-15
Body Parts: Hamstrings, Abs, Legs
Equipment: Medicine ball
A: Begin by lying on your right side, resting your head on your right arm and placing your left hand in front of you for stability. Hold a medicine ball between your feet and make sure your hips and shoulders are square.
B: Slowing lift the medicine ball off the ground a few inches and hold for one count. Lower almost all the way to the ground and repeat. Switch sides to complete the set.
**I am sorry there are no pictures for this move, I could not find any on Shape.com**

Hannah and I did this workout Thursday evening, and at the time I wasn't sure it had done anything because it wasn't very difficult (not extremely easy, but not too difficult). By Friday afternoon, however, I could feel that it had worked. My legs continued to remind me of how well it worked until Sunday morning. Again, I was not so sore that it was unpleasant, but enough that I knew I was doing something right. I think that if I am diligent about doing this 2-3 times a week as it suggests, I'll be ready for that running skort in no time!




On an unrelated side note, the Gaining Power Institute has ordered my Cardio Dual Trainer that I won on Friday, and it should be shipped to me shortly!! I'm so excited!!

2 comments: