Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Burns So Good

Sometimes, I really like being sore.

On Monday, a few of my girlfriends and I went rock climbing at an indoor rock wall in town. They were re-working most of the roped courses due to the upcoming competition season, so only one section of wall was available. Fortunately, it was the section of wall where the beginners can climb. I was able to make it up 3 of the routes I've done before, but without falling this time! I also tried a route much harder than I thought I could do, and was right... but I think I might have a better shot next time.

Because most of the roped courses were closed, though, we ended up doing some bouldering. These are the routes where you don't go as high because you aren't attached to anything. If you fall, you actually fall (onto a bunch of mats). Needless to say, I was terrified, and only tried one really easy route. When I jumped down at the end (much easier than climbing back down), it was much less scary than I thought it would be, so I might try some other routes next time.

What I love about rock climbing, though, is just how much it works your arms! I don't even feel like I'm lifting weights, because it is so much fun, but I am, in essence, lifting a large portion of my body weight. Sure, my legs do most of the work, but have you seen how scrawny my arms are? Note: the answer to that question should be no, as I haven't posted any pictures of myself on here... creeps

Last time I went climbing, I had worked my arms really hard, and definitely felt it for the next couple days. I was having trouble opening my car door. It was borderline unpleasant. This time, however, I am still sore, but it is one of those aches that burns so good. It doesn't impede my daily activity, but only reminds me of what a great time I had on Monday!

... kind of got me in the mood to start weight-lifting again...

(Note: not body-building weight lifting, just trying-to-get-less-wimpy weight lifting)


In the event that I get to the point of unpleasant muscle aches again, does anyone have any suggestions for remedies?

No comments:

Post a Comment